Looking for a two-way radio frequency table? Well, we have you covered! While we are not going to go through every single frequency available for two-way radios, mostly because this would take an incredibly long time and would have absolutely no use to anybody, we are going to run you through the various ‘groupings’ of frequencies available through two-way radios. We will also tell you a little bit about why they are used.

Two Way Radio Frequency Table

Do note that not everything we discuss on this page is ‘open’ to you. Some of these frequencies will require special licensing from the FCC.

Family Radio Service (FLS) and General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)

These are actually two separate radio services. However, they operate in the same frequency band: 462 MHz to 467 MHz. However, there is a major difference between them.

As the name suggests, the Family Radio Service (FLS) can be used by anybody. It is a public radio frequency, and assuming you have a radio that can connect to these frequencies, then you can communicate with the general public.

On the other hand, the GMRS, despite the name, is not ‘general’. It can only be used by businesses. In fact, not only can it only be used by businesses, but you need to receive an FCC license in your local area to be able to use it. You will then be assigned a specific frequency to communicate on.

Both of these frequencies fall upon the UHF band of frequencies, which means they are perfect for use indoors, although they can also be used outdoors (some walkie talkies will actually use FLS)

Business Band Frequencies (BRS)

This is another set of frequencies that you will require FCC licensing to use. And, even then, it isn’t a case of just obtaining a license. You need to be operating a company that absolutely NEEDS access to radio communications. If that sounds too cumbersome, be sure to check out our top rated radios for business review, as our pick does not have any licensing requirement.. This could mean, for instance, you are dealing with a fleet of vehicles. It could also mean communicating with employees and machinery on your premises.

The interesting thing about BRS is that it covers certain frequencies in several different ‘frequencies’. This means low-band, UHF, and VHF. This means that the FCC will often work with you to assign a frequency that is suitable for your company’s needs i.e. if you are outdoors, it is likely that you will be given a VHF channel.

CB Radio and Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS)

CB radio is something that you have likely heard of. It is the primary way that truckers, using standard two-way radio communication codes, communicate on the roads today. It is a completely open radio service, so anybody can tune in and covers 40 Channels in the shortwave frequency.

Multi-Use Radio, or MURS for short, is pretty similar to CB however it operates at a higher frequency of 151.820 Mhz to 154.600 MHz. It only covers five channels too. While this service can be used by anybody, it isn’t really built for more than a quick bit of communication here and there. The range is incredibly small too. You may find certain devices tuned to MURS.

Very High Frequency (VHF)

VHF operates between 136 MHz and 174 MHz.

VHF has been designed for those people who are doing most of their communication outdoors. This is because the range of VHF is absolutely fantastic. On a good day, you will be able to communicate over several miles. The downside is that the radiowaves are going to be hampered by any obstacles that get in the way. This means that you are probably not going to be using VHF if you are mostly communicating with people indoors.

When you are purchasing a two-way radio, if it says that it is a VHF radio, then it is going to be fantastic for those that work outside, or maybe those who are doing sports.

Ultra High Frequency (UHF)

UHF operates at 400 MHz to 512 MHz.

This is a general purpose radio frequency, although it is mostly going to be used by those indoors. This is because, while it can be used outdoors with ease, the radio waves are shorter. They have less of a range on them. This means that you won’t be able to communicate over many miles. In fact, you would be lucky to get a mile before the sound quality is really hampered.

If you are planning to communicate with people in the immediate area, or perhaps in the same building as you, then UHF is the way to go. UHF is often used by hotels, schools, and security guards.

This is a completely open system, although with the right radio, your communications can be encrypted to a certain degree.

Extreme Radio Service (EXRS)

This is a radio you don’t hear much of. This is because it serves a very, very limited purpose. For starters; it only operates at 900MHz.

As you can probably guess, since this is going to be a very high frequency, the range on it is absolutely abysmal. It is only for those who are communicating within short distances. This means that you are probably only going to want to be using EXRS in an indoor building.

That being said, the short radio waves do serve a purpose. They offer fantastic sound quality over those short distances. They are not really going to be hampered by obstacles either. So, if you run a small business and you need to communicate between an office and a warehouse, then this may actually be a good route to go down.

You may also find that some children’s walkie talkies will also operate at the 900MHz frequency. These will have an incredibly short range when they are used outside.

Two Way and CB Radios

Other Frequencies

You must remember that just because we have given a range of frequencies for some of these options, it does not mean that they will cover every frequency in that range. Some frequencies are reserved for other purposes e.g. some frequencies in VHF, CB, and UHF are reserved for remote controls for certain toys and the like. This isn’t something that you are going to need to worry about too much. Your two-radio will not allow you to tune into these frequencies, so you do not have to worry about any conflicts.